미국 연방 지방 판사, 프레드 비에리는 5세 리암 군을 석방 결정.
이번 (리암 군 체포 사건)에 대해서, 프레드 비에리 판사는 다음과 같이 판결했다.
“누가 봐도 명백히 그렇게 아이들을 체포하면, 그 얘들이 심리적 상처를 받을 것이 뻔한데도, 1일 체포 할당량을 채우기 위해, 트럼프 정부가 잘못된 발상으로 무능한 행정집행을 하고 말았다. 이것이 이번 리암 체포 사건의 근본 원인이다.”
1) 스테펀 밀러 (트럼프 백악관 직속 부하) – ICE 에게 할당량 지시. 미등록 이민자 하루 3천명 체포 할당량 채우라 지시.
2) 이번 5세 리암과 아빠 아드리안 아리아스(에콰도르 출신 Adrian Conejo Arias) 체포 과정에서, 아들 리암을 아빠 체포를 위한 ‘미끼’로 활용해, ICE가 격한 비난을 받음.
3) 리암이 갇혀 있었던 구치소에, 400명 정도 어린이들이 체포되어 있음.
리암은 구치소에 있는 동안 식사를 잘 하지 않을 정도로 심리적 상처가 컸음.
구치소 음식은 벌레가 나올 정도로 위생 상태가 좋지 않음.
참고 사항.
정치가 - 도움 준 사람.
호아킨 카스트로. 미 연방 하원의원 (U.S. Representative), 지역구: 텍사스주 샌안토니오 (Texas 20th district)
미국 법원 구조. (865명 연방 판사) 미국 연방 판사 종신제 채택 이유, 헌법과 법률만 보고 판결하라.
1) 연방 대법원 (Supreme Court): 9명 (대법원장 1명 포함)
2) 연방 항소법원 (Circuit Courts): 179명 (13개 순회법원)
3) 연방 지방법원 (District Courts): 677명 (프레드 비에리 판사가 속한 곳)
미국 50개 주, 주 판사 - 주 크기별로 판사 숫자 다름. 종신제는 아니고, 임기 있음.
선출 방식은 '임명제'와 '선거', 혼합형임. 각 주마다 다름.
총 주 판사는 3만명.
캘리포니아 2천명,
텍사스 1800명,
인구가 적은 주, 100명 내외
주 대법원 (State Supreme Court)
주의 최종심 : 보통 5~9명
중간 항소법원 (Intermediate Appellate Courts)
없는 주도 있음
있으면 10~50명 이상
1심 법원 (Trial Courts)
일반 민사·형사
가정법원, 형사법원, 상업법원 등 포함
U.S. District Judge Fred Biery, who sits in San Antonio and was appointed by former Democratic president Bill Clinton, said in his ruling "the case has its genesis in the ill-conceived and incompetently-implemented government pursuit of daily deportation quotas, apparently even if it requires traumatizing children."
Judge orders U.S. to free 5-year-old boy, father detained by ICE in Minnesota
Images of preschooler Liam Conejo Ramos surrounded by ICE agents sparked outcry
The Associated Press · Posted: Jan 31, 2026 3:52 PM EST | Last Updated: January 31

A child is led to a car.
Liam Conejo Ramos, 5, is detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers after arriving home from preschool in Minneapolis on Jan. 20. (Ali Daniels via The Associated Press)
Social Sharing
A 5-year-old boy and his father must be released by Tuesday from the Texas centre where they've been held after being detained by immigration officers in Minnesota, a U.S. federal judge ordered Saturday in a ruling that harshly criticized the Trump administration's approach to enforcement.
Images of Liam Conejo Ramos wearing a bunny hat and Spiderman backpack while surrounded by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers sparked even more outcry about the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in Minnesota.
U.S. District Judge Fred Biery, who sits in San Antonio and was appointed by former Democratic president Bill Clinton, said in his ruling "the case has its genesis in the ill-conceived and incompetently-implemented government pursuit of daily deportation quotas, apparently even if it requires traumatizing children."
Biery had previously ruled that the boy and his father, Adrian Conejo Arias, could not be removed from the U.S., at least for now.
Liam and his father, Adrian Conejo Arias, who is originally from Ecuador, were detained in the Minneapolis suburb of Columbia Heights on Jan. 20. They were taken to a detention facility in Dilley, Texas.
An adult sitting on a bench holds a sleeping a child as another adult stands over them.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, left, visits Liam Conejo Ramos and his father Adrian Conejo Arias, right, at the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley, Texas, on Wednesday. (Rep. Joaquin Castro/The Associated Press)
Neighbours and school officials say that federal immigration officers in Minnesota used the preschooler as "bait" by telling him to knock on the door to his house so that his mother would answer. The Department of Homeland Security has called that description of events an "abject lie." It said the father fled on foot and left the boy in a running vehicle in their driveway.
The government says Arias entered the U.S. illegally from Ecuador in December 2024. The family's lawyer says he has a pending asylum claim that allows him to remain in the country.
Fearing ICE, some students in Minneapolis retreat to virtual learning
Their detention led to a protest at the Texas family detention center and a visit by two Texas Democratic members of Congress.
In his order Saturday, Biery said: "apparent also is the government's ignorance of an American historical document called the Declaration of Independence," suggesting the Trump administration's actions echo those that author and future president Thomas Jefferson enumerated as grievances against England's King George.
Legal documents are seen splayed on a table.
A court order written by U.S. District Judge Fred Biery is pictured on Saturday. (Sydney Schaefer/The Associated Press)
Among them: "He has sent hither Swarms of Officers to harass our People" and "He has excited domestic Insurrection among us."
Biery also included in his ruling a photo of Liam Conejo Ramos and references to two lines in the Bible: "Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these,'" and "Jesus Wept."
He's not the only federal judge who has been tough on ICE recently. A Minnesota-based judge with a conservative pedigree described the agency as a serial violator of court orders related to the crackdown.
WATCH | How Trump is backpedaling on Minnesota:
How Trump is backpedalling on ICE operations in Minneapolis | About That
January 29
|
Duration2:50
Andrew Chang explains how U.S. President Donald Trump is pulling back on his immigration crackdown in Minnesota amid criticism for pushing a shaky narrative about the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti. Images provided by The Canadian Press, Reuters and Getty Images
Stephen Miller, the White House chief of staff for policy, has said there's a target of 3,000 immigration arrests a day. It's that figure which the judge seemed to describe as a "quota."
Spokespersons from the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Homeland Security did not immediately reply to requests for comment.
The Law Firm of Jennifer Scarborough, which is representing the boy and his family, said in a statement that it was working "to ensure a safe and timely reunion."
Protesters hold up signs denouncing ICE and calling for Liam Conejo Ramos's release during a rally in New York City on Jan. 23. (Angela Weiss/AFP/Getty Images)
"We are pleased that the family will now be able to focus on being together and finding some peace after this traumatic ordeal," they said.
During the Jan. 28 visit with Reps. Joaquin Castro and Jasmine Crockett, the boy slept in the arms of his father, who said Liam was frequently tired and not eating well at the detention facility housing about 1,100 people, according to Castro.
Detained families report poor conditions like worms in food, fighting for clean water and poor medical care at the detention center since its reopening last year.
In December, a report filed by ICE acknowledged they held about 400 children longer than the recommended limit of 20 days